The Marin County Office of Education, in coordination with schools, PG&E, the Marin County Fire Department, and the Marin County Sheriff’s Office of Emergency Services, is providing this information to help prepare our school community for the possibility of a Public Safety Power Shutoff that may result in a multi-day power outage.
PG&E will make every effort to provide 48-Hour notification to impacted areas, followed by 24-hour updates, a final update just before the power is shut down. Outages may be isolated to specific geographic areas and schools, or may be widespread with impacts to many schools. Communications will be challenging during the duration of the outage.
Based on the information and guidance we have at this time, the following are the steps we anticipate taking in the event of a power shut down:
- In the event that the power is shut down during the normal school day, school operations will continue through the remainder of the school day.
- In the event that the power is shut down outside of the normal school day, school will be closed until power is restored. Based on estimates from PG&E, Public Safety Power Shutoffs may result in extended power outages of 3-5 days.
- Communication during the power outage – Schools will make every effort to provide updated information regarding status of the outage, using whatever information channels they have available (cell phone, landline, email, texting, social media, local news media) with the understanding that communication systems will be limited.
- When power is restored, schools will be back in session. If power is restored during the normal school day, school will be back in session the following day.
In order to stay as up to date as possible on the most current information, our public safety officials are recommending that you register your contact information at the following sites:
- http://www.nixle.com/ (text zip codes to 888777)
- PG&E Alerts for Account Holders
- PG&E Zip Code Alerts for non-account holders (sign up for Ross Valley Charter’s ZIP Code 94930)
Here are some additional links with important resources to assist you in being prepared at home.
We will communicate with families via ParentSquare any updates as they come.
Thank you for helping us to be prepared!